Paige and I were on hand in 460CMC to greet and meet and accept the new 40 applications to major in Graphic Design. We had 42 applicants last year in your group.
These new design majors will be your new Junior class and your success actually affects their success each of you serve as mentors to this new group. What you present to them will give them a vision of what's ahead in the program. Your attitude and respect for the discipline actually do rub off on them.
Each of you have a great presence in their future. They will look to you for confidence and advice.
The Graphic Design Faculty will decide on the new majors late Wednesday May 2nd. I'll make sure I forward the congratulatory list of new majors to each of you just to keep you abreast of the proceedings.
On another note:
Just to put some rumors to rest....I am not retiring.
Who me?
Never!
Who the heck started that rumor anyway?
Remember the day in class when I showed you the "Edward Scissorhands" case study that I had prepared to give as a presentation at my ol alma mater Young Harris College? Little did I know that my invitation by YHC to present some of my past work was actually designed by them to be a job interview.
Subsequently last week I was offered a full time job to join their esteemed faculty at Young Harris College this fall to build a competitive graphic design program. They are starting a Digital Arts discipline at the College. I would be lying if I didn't say that it wasn't a dream of mine to return to that college where I began my art life to teach one day. That day finally arrived last week and their job offer was indeed an attractive one.
I'll forever be appreciative to YHC that I was offered the position. However, I have decided to remain at GSU where I plan to continue to evolve and grow along with each of you.
Just goes to show that no matter how old or young you might be that others are paying attention and watching and listening to you. If you love what you do, it will love you back.
You reap what you sow in this creative life. I am living proof that if you want something bad enough then all you have to do is send those wishes and dreams out into the universe. Energy to energy.
Make sure that whenever good fortune arrives that you are ready for it.
Perhaps this is why I've been so relentless with your class recently about showing up to class on time and being responsible for the good work that you've chosen to do. You can't hide passion for what you do. Each of you chose this major and now you have to follow through and give it your best. You beat out 22 other sophomore applicants last year.
Own your creative life.
That doesn't mean skipping class and "robbing peter to pay paul" when it comes to deadlines, critiques and class work. The passion, the habits, the energy you possess at this very moment is crucial to the successful road you will have ahead of you. You are building bridges now with your classmates, your instructors, your clients and your internships. You are ambassadors to our program at GSU. You represent us all. You have a responsibility to yourself and to your school to put your best foot forward as you move through the program towards your degree. Your time at GSU will be over before you know it. It goes too fast so do the good work.
You can choose to be a victim or the victorious. It's your choice.
During the past few weeks I received some emails from some members of your classmates....these emails and sentiments came at just "the right time" for me during my negotiations between YHC and GSU. Ironically it was those kind emails from several of you who helped solidify my decision to remain at GSU. You know who you are. Education is a two-way street for all of us involved in the creative process. We are a family of artist and designers who must support and challenge one another.
We are all in this together. We are only as strong as our weakest link.
Great things are ahead for all of us. I know there are great things ahead for me because I will have the chance to work alongside each of you as Seniors. I'm excited at the endless possibilities I see in your work and you and I want to be around to see you reach your potential as a senior. I love what I get to do each day in the Welch School of Art and Design because of designers like you. I'm the lucky one.
Jeff Boortz, the motion designer who interviewed recently for the new tenure track position (full time) in our department was offered and has accepted the design position and will start in the fall. He will be a great addition to our faculty. Also, Jason Snape is also set to be teaching again in our department as an Adjunct Faculty member next year. I have great admiration and respect for Jason and we are lucky to have him again next year. He is another one who sincerely cares about your future.
We are set for an incredible year ahead.
It's official. You are the Seniors of 2013.
No comments:
Post a Comment